Update: 08/03/2017: The following guide was originally written many moons ago for installing the Virtualmin GPL (free) control panel on CentOS 5.8 x86, however it will work exactly the same on the current version of CentOS (7.0).
The following guide will assume you are logged into your CentOS machine via command line, ready to enter the following commands.
First you will want select a temporary directory to Virtualmin installation file to. We will only use the downloaded file once so it’s pointless keeping it, so to free up space and put it in /tmp!
Download the Virtualmin GPL installer:
Run the installer:
The installer will then launch and prompt you to approve if you’d like to proceed. Simply type “y” and press enter and the installation process will begin.
After a short while you will see a message saying the installation has been completed. You will then be able to login to installation of Virtualmin by heading to https://hostname-or-ipaddress:10000 using the root username and password.
Once logged in you will then be guided through a final configuration process, once completed the installation will be complete and ready for use. Another guide will be written soon to explain how to configure Virtualmin.
- If you don’t already have a server to try this on check out DigitalOcean, they offer reliable good spec servers starting from $5 a month
- Depending on your CentOS installation you may get an error message about the Perl package being missing. To resolve this run the following command in terminal and then relaunch the installer:
I had previously purchased two Sunluxy DVR’s for various projects (see CoopCam.co.uk to find out more) and was impressed with how easy they were get up and running, it was literally a straight forward task of fitting a hard drive and then setting and forgetting… literally… setting the admin password and then forgetting it.
Not to worry though, the user manual will have some helpful tips on what to do? Wrong! Poor translation meant the manual ended up in the bin, never mind the Internet will be able to help surely… maybe not. After much research I thought my box was going to end up living with the user manual in the bin but then I turned to good old fashioned trial and error as a last resort.
Factory Resetting the DVR
So lets get to the juicy bit! For the steps below you will need to be near your Sunluxy DVR but before you continue please be aware that this process will not only reset the admin password, it will also remove any settings entered previously such as network configuration, recording preferences and so on. The hard drive and all existing data will be left untouched.
- First things first switch off your DVR. In my case there was a power switch on the back that I flicked, so far so good!
- The next step is to hold the Back button (the one that lets you flick back to the previous menus – labelled with a back arrow, sometimes also labelled ESC) whilst switching the DVR back on, the button can be seen circled in the image below:
- After a short delay you will see that all lights apart from the power light go out and hear a beep, this means the DVR has reset itself and will automatically restart so release the Back button and you will see the DVR begin to boot as normal
- Once everything has loaded you will then be able to login to your DVR using the default username of admin and leaving the password field blank
- In this example we used a Sunluxy branded DVR, however this process (or something very similar) should work with most generic H.624 DVR’s as well
- The steps above assume your monitor is connected via the VGA connection, as Chris suggested in the comments below, try using the BNC connection if you have trouble with menus not showing
- Finally, if you could let me know if you run into any problems or if the process works on other brands or models I’d be grateful
- h 264 dvr password reset null
- how to reset h 264 dvr
- reset password dvr h 264
- h 264 network dvr admin password reset
- sunluxy h 264
- sunluxy h 264 dvr firmware
- sunluxy cctv set up
- reset sunluxy h 264 standalone dvr
- sunyluxy H264
- h view forgotton password